The purpose of an essay as an assignment task is to demonstrate your understanding of the topic and your ability to sustain an argument. Essays are a form of academic writing that require you to follow the general structure of introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion. An essay is written in whole sentences and paragraphs. If you do not use an essay format you will lose marks. Essays do not necessarily need headings, though these are often useful for guiding the reader. Appendices are not permitted; any essential figures and tables should be included in the body of the assignment.
Document submission formats for on-line marking
Please follow these guidelines in preparing your documents:
• Do NOT use a cover sheet; instead just put your title at the top of the first page and begin your essay immediately beneath this.
• You MUST include your student ID number at the top of every page (put it in a header).
• Page numbers MUST be included at the bottom of every page.
• You should use Calibri or Times New Roman 12-point typeface with single line spacing. Please leave a full line between each paragraph for easier on-line reading.
• The document you submit must be in Word (.doc or .docx) format and should be uploaded as one file. Please do not spread your assignment over multiple files – for example, do not put your references in a separate file. We will only open and mark one file per student.
• Your marks will be affected if your tutor cannot open or properly view your submission (for example, if you did not follow instructions on acceptable file formats).
• To minimize file size, please do NOT include pictures or photographs. Your own diagrams are OK!
• All tables and diagrams must be included in the text - DO NOT use appendices as tutors will not scroll back and forth through your work to find material in an appendix.
• Please number and give titles to all tables and diagrams for ease of reference in your text.
• Please check your citations and references (we do!).