Assignment – All students will produce a Business Plan. Students can then choose to complete either a written critique (review) of their plan or to defend their business plan in a viva.
Students can choose to complete this assessment and its constituent parts, individually, as a pair or trio of their choice
50% of unit marks: Word Guide 3,500 words
An Executive Summary should be included.
Monthly cash flow and profit forecast projections should be included for the first 3 years of trading.
Student should make it clear who the business plan is being written for.
It should also be clear what the individual author(s) involvement is in the proposed business.
Upon graduation, you are planning to set up a services or leisure tourism based business.
Prepare a Business Plan, relating to this business proposal, to present to a financial provider, business advisor or approving body, of your choice.
Support your plan with appropriate information including a simple presentation of financial information covering the finance required for start up, early stages and future growth; demonstrating profitability, liquidity and if appropriate return on investment.
This assignment will assess the students ability to:
- Analyse the special needs of those running a small business;
- Critically appraise the issues involved in starting a small business;
- Assess and critically evaluate the factors that contribute to the success of a small business;
- Define and evaluate the problems of managing corporate growth and expansion within a small or start-up business;
- Appreciate the sources of finance available to small businesses and critically appraise the appropriateness of these sources in an organisational context;
- Evaluate the factors, both financial and non-financial, which contribute to small business success and failure.
Indicative Assessment Criteria :
An assignment that provides no evidence of relevant reading or research and simply expresses the authors’ unsubstantiated views will not achieve a pass grade.
A good assignment will provide a well-presented, well-argued and well-researched case for the authors’ views.
An excellent assignment will show evidence of extensive reading and thorough research, demonstrating an understanding of the market place; coupled with an excellent appreciation of the key elements around the business proposition, through a systematic approach to its critical analysis.
Marking criteria (for business plan)
30% Presentation and Discussion of business idea
30% Presentation of business operation
20% Supporting Financial and Other information
10% Clarity and coverage of Executive Summary
10% Overall Presentation and Style