1) List the core theories and theorists that we have engaged with throughout the course of PO6013
The primary theme of the paper is 1) List the core theories and theorists that we have engaged with throughout the course of PO6013 in which you are required to emphasize its aspects in detail. The cost of the paper starts from $129 and it has been purchased and rated 4.9 points on the scale of 5 points by the students. To gain deeper insights into the paper and achieve fresh information, kindly contact our support.
PO6013 – 2016-17 - Methods Workshop - The Application & Development of Theory
The Marking Criteria Document for the 3rd assessment given out in WK8 (and up in Assessment 3 folder on studyspace) states:
‘Mirroring our engagement with key themes, we have consistently drawn from a range of theory and concepts. Taking your case study rationale (along with the feedback you received) as your foundation, you should clearly engage with relevant theory and apply it to your evidence. We would expect the theory that you are using to be one that has been introduced within the scope of the module. You can draw on other theoretical frameworks, but if so then we strongly recommend that you discuss this with a member of the teaching team. Such engagement will take different forms, but could include the application of a theory or concept to your case study in order to exploit its explanatory power or the application of two concepts to a case study to weigh up which is of more benefit for those seeking broader generalisations. In terms of developing theory, remember to reflect on the theory you have applied in the conclusion to the case study, e.g. does the theory work or need further development?
The amount that each of you engages with theory and concepts will differ from person to person. However, whichever way you approach the assignment, ensure that you devote significant time to developing your engagement with theory.’
It also states:
‘The theoretical approach you are taking in the case study should relate to at least one of the six texts on page 10 of the Module Guide. If it does not, please check with the teaching team.’
For the avoidance of doubt, these books are:
- Green, P.; Ward, T. (2004) State Crime: Governments, Violence and Corruption. London: Pluto Press.
- Hillyard, P. (2004) Beyond Criminology: Taking Social Harm Seriously. London: Pluto Press.
- Kramer, R.; Michalowski, R. (eds) (2006) State-Corporate Crime: Wrongdoing at the Intersection of Business and Government. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Sutherland, E. (2009) White Collar Crime: The Uncut Version. London: Yale University Press.
- Tombs, S.; Whyte, D. (2016) The Corporate Criminal: Why Corporations must be Abolished. Oxon: Routledge.
- Whyte, D. (eds) (2009) Crimes of the Powerful: A Reader. Maidenhead: McGraw Hill.
1) List the core theories and theorists that we have engaged with throughout the course of PO6013.
2) Which of these theories and theorists are you engaging with in your case study essay? (If you are not engaging with any of these core theories and theorists, have you discussed this with one of the teaching team? If not, do so ASAP)
3) Why and how are you planning to engage with you chosen theory (or concept) and theorists? (I.e. Do plan to exploit its explanatory power, highlight flaws in a theory or concept, play two theories or concepts off each other…)
4) Provide a brief outline of how you plan to apply theory to your case study?
5) Are you able to pre-empt and counter any potential weaknesses in your argument?
N.B. As a collective we will get the most from this session if people are willing to share. As such, be prepared to contribute when called upon. Thanks!